Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year!

I wish you a blessed and prosperous year in writing. The clock is already ticking. Time stops for no one. Do you have an idea what you want to do with approximately 6,000 hours available to you? I deleted the first 48 hours and 8 hours/day sleep time.

I'm sure you've heard the cliche, "If you don't know where you are going, any road will do." When I first started writing, my goals were quite general. "I want to reach more people than I could ever come face-to-face with." I went to a writers seminar and one instructor encouraged, "If you don't send out ten submissions every month, your career will take forever to get off the ground." So I set out to do my ten submissions in a month. By the next writers conference I was burned out. I talked to a mentor who encouraged me to write and market at my own speed. That gave me a lot of peace, so I set out on my new quest. Not ten submissions a month. The first instructor was right. My writing career was taking off at a turtle's pace. 

I have since learned that the more I write and submit, the better I get. My acceptance rate started out at 20%. It has increased to 44%, which is still considered beginner level. But unless I keep writing and submitting, I will never get above 50%. Let's consider that you start off better than I, and you submit ten things for publishing during the year and get five published pieces. Let's also consider that the average compensation is $100. Your gross is $500. What are your expenses? How much did you spend on training and supplies?

Study your markets every day. Consider how your writing will fit publisher needs and submit. Let me know in comments what your aspirations are. I am praying for you. Together we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment