Stay focused on the purpose of your query. Remember to include these eight ingredients:
- Gain your reader's attention with an opening most appropriate for your story.
- Awaken a need for your idea.
- Tell how readers will benefit from your story.
- Use facts, opinions and statistics from experts or other reliable sources.
- Don't overdo details in your letter. Those are for your story.
- Give the reader a reason to respond. Then make a confident request.
- Don't assume your reader is convinced by prefacing your statements with, "As you know," or "I'm sure you agree."
- Reveal your plan by with an outline of your story idea.